Top 10 Benefits of Autodesk Navisworks
A few weeks ago, BRS added a new tool to our digital design capabilities. In acquiring the Autodesk Navisworks software, BRS has not only enhanced its set of tools, but it’s fundamentally improved the way we share 3D information.
Our main 3D modeling program is Autodesk REVIT, and until now all 3D coordination has been done in REVIT itself. A program like REVIT contains an incredible amount of modeling information, drawing sheets, schedules—not to mention considerable 2D information. Consultants’ REVIT models also carry a similarly large database and reviewing models within REVIT can be cumbersome, to say the least.
Enter Navisworks. Navisworks is not a 3D modeling program but a program that converts large REVIT 3D model files into smaller 3D models that are far more manageable for a multitude of team members. It gives BRS a more efficient tool to review and resolve differences between multiple consultant models. Navisworks is a powerful desktop application that can filter and separate specific model information. It will not be a program to replace REVIT, but a tool that works in conjunction with REVIT and makes certain processes much more efficient. Navisworks can be used in a multitude of applications (ones we won’t fully discuss here), but we can already see it making a big impact in the following 10 ways.
Improves 3D presentation techniques with clients and consultants:
- Smaller file size can be opened and operated on a laptop or tablet computer with ease
- Entire 3D model can be viewed and walked through—and sections of building isolated—to be analyzed at much greater speeds than in REVIT
- Material changes can be made instantaneously and views can be set up quickly to show different material possibilities
Improves 3D model interaction with clients:
- Provides clients with small files containing overall project 3D information without overwhelming them with entire REVIT project database
- Clients can download free Navisworks file viewer, allowing them to rotate, spin, flip and walk through the model
- Clients can take basic measurements and interact with design team in 3D environment
- Client can generate 3D views of the project, improving their overall understanding of the design
Improves collision detection:
- Navisworks’ greatest strength is clash detection: Detecting collisions during design, in real time, gives the team a very efficient method to improve coordination among multiple building systems and ultimately avoid costly remedies after drawing completion and during construction
- Enhances ability to filter through building elements quickly and run collision tests between isolated building elements
- The same filters and searches can be saved and used throughout the project
Posted on December 23, 2013 at 03:14pmcomments powered by Disqus